Friday, March 7, 2008

Twitter

So what is Twitter and why is gaining popularity. Here is that Lee Levever with another one of his clear and consise explainations of web2.0 applications: http://www.youtube.com/user/leelefever

I thought Twitter was just fun and games until I read this post by Elizabeth Lane.
If you actually visit the blog (instead of reading it via aggregator), you’d see that I added Twitter to my sidebar now. I don’t know what it is about it, but there’s no question it’s infectious. For some reason, I get a kick out of knowing that Kelly Dumont is playing around with Sketchup and Tim Lauer had a dentist appointment today.

Some might call it a distraction, but I consider it the equivalent of a 20 second ’smoke break’. Sometimes you just need a minute to step back, give your mind a minute and then refocus. Twitter really seems to fill that need for me. While it may be fluff, it’s still social networking, something that I’ve found of enormous value over time. My contacts are my professional development, my intellectual stimulation, and also my friends. I don’t consider any interaction with them, regardless of how casual, to be a waste of time.

I think that’s what students are realizing, that most adults are missing the point on. The people who excel at MySpace and AIM are becoming masters of business, marketing, sales, and design. It’s not what you know, it’s who you know. And if you don’t know them yet, can you find them and tap into them?

Oh yeah, you can find me on Twitter at randymalta. So what are you up to right now?

No comments: